Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Thanks Phil

My Dearest Phil,

A very eloquent, and apparently heartfelt, apology.

In all good faith, however, I feel that I cannot accept your apology. There is no reason to accept an apology for something that wasn't really an infraction. The simple facts of the matter were that you were asked a question or two by a reporter and you responded as honestly as you could. I applaud you for doing so. If everyone were to do the same, we would live in a much better place. So instead of beating yourself up about that, give yourself a pat on the back. The term "bad press" contains two words, and we were actually pleased as punch to get the "press". Hell, everyone from Al Jarreau to Whitless Spears has benefitted from bad press. My thanks to you for this.

If you really feel the need to make amends for past malfeasances, please allow me to direct your attention to the latter part of that very same article. I (and I believe I speak for most of the members of FC) took deep offense from the way that you elected to tell us that we were no longer welcome to perform at the Down Home. If, as you aver, there was no altercation between you, myself and Bruce, then there was no reason for us to suspectthat we were banned. The fact that you chose a public forum that was intended to promote the local music scene to inform Final Curtain of it's status with your club was nothing short of chickenshit. Plain old chickenshit, pussyfuck cowardice. We knew you, trusted you and, hell, a couple of us almost kinda liked you (maybe).

One thing more I will give you. At that point in time, the Down Home was the only venue we had. Thanks to your decision, we began soliciting other places to allow locals to play. I in no way shape or form want to take credit for all of this. Many voices went into the building of the JC "scene".Bruce, Johnny and Chris, The boys from Plain Jane (et.al) but I believe that is what opened the doors of QB's, Club Venus, Richard A's, and even allowed the realization of the Highlander.

So in essence, Thanks for kicking us out. Fuck you for doing it the way you did, but Thank You anyway. Many good years with many good people were had.

If whatever god you subscribe to requires you to make these apologies, at least find the right things to apologize for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home