Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Iron-Jawed Angels

I recently saw an HBO movie called "Iron-Jawed Angels" about woman suffrage, particularly the story of Alice Paul, one of the lesser known suffragists. Hillary Swank played her in the film and did an awesome job. It was neat to see a movie about these women - and timely given the election is approaching. I heard that a huge number of registered single women voters didn't vote in 2000.

Though things seem bleak to me - I have regained some hope following the first debate, but not much - I have got to continue believing in the democratic process and that, if enough people get pissed off about how their government is treating them, change can happen. It's happened before.

Anyhow, the film has inspired me to become more politically active. I also recently heard from an old college friend of mine, Andy, who lives in San Francisco. He's become so concerned about the state of things that he quit his job as an elementary school teacher and is volunteering all of his time and giving his money also to Move On and various local campaigns. He was arrested twice for protesting the war in Iraq.

What kills me is that so many people still believe in this barbaric approach to power and leadership - rule by force. Many of them even oppose the UN and think that forming alliances with other countries is dangerous. I know many of these people - some of them are my family members. I just don't get it. It's so lacking in sanity and basic emotional intelligence it's laughable. Yet we just keep doing the same old shit over and over again. Killing people to protect our own interests and lying about it or saying it's all in the name of democracy, which is the same as lying about it. How long will this go on?

1 Comments:

Blogger Brook said...

it will go on until enough people decide enough is enough...

and enough of the RIGHT people. like people in the media. democracy needs truth and we haven't had very much of that these last four years.

Friday, October 08, 2004 9:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home