Saturday, September 10, 2005

My Home Town

So Ernie and I moved to Portland the week of August 22. I'd barely unpacked the first boxes when Katrina wiped out my home town. Yeah, the city I was born in, raised in, educated in... the city in which I spent the first 33 years of my life is devastated. My family there is now mostly homeless, scattered over Texas, Mississippi and Georgia. The friends I have there aren't there anymore. They are all over the damned place.

Every time I see another photo, video clip or article about what happened there I want to scream - run away - but I can't tear my eyes away because I see what's in the background of those images and it's home. Or it used to be.

So everyone, please, grab a glass of something and raise it high while I make a toast to the city that care forgot... the city that FEMA forgot... the city that paid the price for Bush's sins. And play some music in the background - something from Fats or the Professor or the Nevilles - and remember.

Thanks, I needed that,
Ditty

3 Comments:

Blogger Brook said...

i have thought about you all thru this travesty. This American Life was a killer today. i would have felt exactly like the woman at the Superdome -- afraid we were being culled.

i have a bad feeling about where we are heading, ditty. i'm so happy for you and Earnie getting out west.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 9:57:00 PM  
Blogger Brook said...

is it 2012, yet?

Saturday, September 10, 2005 9:57:00 PM  
Blogger dancinfool said...

While I am so very relieved to be living in a blue state, and even moreso that Kurt, Amy and Milo will be living here in a few months too, my heart still breaks for my family, friends and hometown. I watched the Shelter From The Storm concert and managed to keep it together until they showed an old film clip of Mardi Gras in what looked to me to be the 50's. Sobbing, just pure unadulterated sobbing.

Sunday, September 11, 2005 10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home